Pencil Shavings

Monday, March 17, 2008

iGTD is hot!

I like Actiontastic. But ever since I encountered the ever-spinning wheel and lost my database, I haven't been able to get it to work for me, in spite of multiple re-installations.

Enter iGTD.

iGTD is hot stuff. I've had it for fifteen minutes and I like it already. I had been wanting to install it ever since I read popagandhi's quasi-review, but all the links to bargiel.home.pl led to a dead end. His servers must be overloaded or something. Get iGTD from the CNET site instead.

I've become somewhat of a needy geek. I need my GTD app to sync with my iCal; I need my GTD app to come with a quicksilver plugin. I'm very needy, but iGTD meets all my needs.

1. It syncs with iCal.

Similar to Actiontastic, contexts are synced as calendars in iCal, for example, @home, @mac, @errand, etc.

Syncing is scary business. You may lose everything trying. One of the things I appreciate in iGTD is that it backups my data before each sync. It also comes bundled with a plugin for iBackup.

Having said that, if you notice something wacky happening to your data in either iCal of iGTD, don't sync it again. Instead, you want to:

- backup the iGTD data file
- unregister the iGTD from Sync Services (Syncing tab):
- quit iGTD
- remove all iGTD data from iCal (important!)
- start iGTD and do a sync to iCal

Personally I wouldn't do step 5 unless I'm very sure it will work. I will look for the backup file (GTD.sql.startup.bkp) and restore it. Better, I will backup my iCal database before every sync.

2. Quicksilver is its buddy.



iGTD comes bundled with a quicksilver plugin. To add tasks, simply write:

@context [project] task !! #duedate

Where
!! - highest priority
!
?
?? - lowest priority


What more can a needy geek ask for??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep. The iGTD website is down but the forums are still going FTW> http://igtd.phpbb24.com/forum/index.php

Anonymous said...

http://igtd.pl/iGTD/index.html thanks to a volunteer who is hosting the site. For all intensive purposes, the development on this app has joined the tasmanian tiger.