Pencil Shavings

Friday, November 05, 2004

email reply to a designer friend

Heya,

Thanks for your draft for the poster for the "Faith and Reason" seminar.

Personal opinion here - I like your second design. I like the statue of Christ rising out of the double helix as it implies that both faith and reason fit together in a sensible fashion, yet it requires a jump from reason to faith. Also, to me, it hints at mystery - that Christ is both human and God - that things that seem to contradict each other (e.g. faith and reason) can co-exist and make sense. I also like the geometrical scribbles at the back of the second draft (not sure why colleagues asked you to take that out) cos it shows man's attempt to make sense of the world in a rational manner.

Christians have failed miserably in this long quest to make sense of the world using both faith and reason - cp world is flat vs world is round theory. But even when we stumble and make ourselves the laughing stock of the world, Christ is always there, and cannot ever be disproved (or proved, for that matter) by reason - which your design adequately shows.

Just thought to let you know what I thought. You are good at what you do. :) All of this is just my personal opinion though - it doesn't mean squat as to what will eventually get approved. :) You'll hear from my colleagues soon.

Take care,
L

No comments: