Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Stupid Thumbnails

I give up. Flat out give up. I would ask those who stop by here for help, but I think it would be like a smoke signal in the middle of the atlantic ocean, in the middle of a downpour, in the middle of a ban on all transport by sea. So I am going to gripe instead.

You know how some people have that a little book log in their sidebars, with the little perfectly sized thumbnail? I saw it on mrbrown's and siren's site and I coveted it. I rolled my mouse over the thumbnails and noticed that mrbrown's thumbnails all link to Amazon and have a "mrbrown-20" tag on them. I googled it and found out that you can join to be an associate member of Amazon, and earn money if your readers buy books through your links.

Now I'm not interested in making money (see above reference to this blog being a smoke signal in the middle of the atlantic ocean, in the middle of a downpour, etc. etc.; sometimes you have to feign disinterest for lack of ability). I just want thumbnails without having to save and resize the images manually. So I signed up for my account, and tried to paste the html in.

When I paste in the pic with all the extra gunk (price, ugly amazon button, default text), it works (what they call an iframe). But when I paste in the image solo, it doesn't! Instead it gives the box with the red "X" which I've gotten all too familiar with recently. I roll over the box with the red "X" and what does it say? http://not-a-real-namespace instead of http://www.amazon.com! Are you telling me Amazon is a figment of my over-wrung imagination? Try imagining away their million dollar profits and billions of page clicks every year! Not-a-real-namespace... *mutter*

In any case, it doesn't work, and so I still don't have thumbnails. Not that anyone cares, since we are in the middle of the ocean in the middle of downpour in the middle of a drought of water-bound vehicles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, lemme see if I can help.
I get my itsy bitsy thumbnails from pages like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Rufin/202-1068439-5059865
(those little thumbnails, see?)
You don;t have to save the images onto your own server if you don't really care and are like me (cos Amazon makes millions anyway). You can right click on the image and use the url of the image instead of saving it etc. Easy no? If you still need help, email me. I'd be happy to help:)

mis_nomer said...

Haha! Thanks! I think it works!! :)