Pencil Shavings

Friday, April 01, 2005

Terry Schiavo has died

Terry Schiavo has died. BBC has a compilation of key quotes following her death. The comments from the Schiavo camp angers me most.

Mike's very upset. My sister's crying. It's very emotional. It's been a long,hard fight, but I believe she's happy. Terri's probably happy now to be free and not be shown all over TV. I would imagine if it was me I'd be very embarrassed, everybody looking at my picture lying there. John Centonze, brother of Jody Centonze, Michael Schiavo's fiancee
She's got all of her dignity back. She's now in heaven, she's now with God, and she's walking with grace. Scott Schiavo, Michael Schiavo's brother
What do you know about dignity? Sometimes I think it is the people who are healthy, well, intelligent, rich, and proud who are hung up about dignity and being embarrassed. Is there less dignity in a nursing home, and say, needing help to use the toilet? Within the confines of such a nursing home, isn't it just a normal, expected activity?

I agree that death is better than the process of dying. I agree that she is probably happier. But I disagree that she has more dignity now that she is dead. If dignity is conferred, I have never thought any less of her while her images were broadcasted all over the world. If dignity is intrinsic, she is still a child of God, whether on this side or the other.

There is grace for the weak that the strong cannot even begin to comprehend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's weird how people think. Dignity. A wretched looking tramp on the street can have dignity. A little dog can have dignity. It's all in the way one carries oneself. and more importantly, if one feels like that. We judge ppl based on how they look, and we don't bother looking closer, to know more about them. We just judge. Both the comments by the relations are quite lousy. I don't know what to say really. Just that America made a big fuss over something that could have ended quietly.