Pencil Shavings

Monday, January 24, 2005

two sides of a coin

Certain bad moods are strangely productive. The most productive bad moods are the ones tinged with self-righteous indignation, full of self-esteem and perceived power. They give just enough rage to make turning points in my life – to do things that I’ve put off doing because I’ve been too concerned about other people’s opinions, or because of simple indecision. This evening is one of these days.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are bad moods that do nothing for me. I lie in bed and cannot get up. In the throes of depression, nothing is worth the effort. I feel like a 500-year old ancient trapped in a twenty-something year old body entrusted with the secret heavy knowledge that everything is vanity, meaningless, a vapour that disappears. And I sleep until the headache comes.

What are yours like?

1 comment:

colinrt said...

Hi,

re: oei, you bought yourself a car izzit?

that comment brought the biggest smile to my face all morning and I'm still grinning like a bloody idiot as I type this... to which my very curious colleagues must be wondering what the fool is high on...

no... no new car purchased... just terribly snowed under with the annual/fourth quarter/monthly reports that hit about the same time and force as the Boxing Day tsunami... unfortunately... and am still feeling the after effects of which, as the documents bounce like crazy pinballs between Singapore and London - aggravated further by the frikkin time difference... sigh...

promise to post soon...

you on msn messenger perchance? or you can email me direct... colinrt000[at]hotmail.com