Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Divers Alarums

Drats. The inevitable happened.

I've been using instiki to keep track of what I have to do at work and write notes on current projects on the recommendation of popagandhi (who also unsurprisingly fans in me the desire to arm-twist the powers-that-be into getting me a Mac).

After completing this particular project, I had to pass it to the boss so I thought I would export it as a html file and send it via email. I quickly found out that the export function in this particular version of instiki is bugged. Exporting to either a html or a markup creates an empty zip file.

Since I couldn't do anything about that, I decided to copy the source code, paste into dreamweaver, and create the html that way. That's all fine and dandy, but it means that while links to the world wide web work fine, links to my internal created pages don't work. So I decided to try to publish it on the web and create a password to give to the boss.

I created the password, verified it, and the next time I went to the localhost site (which was all of 2 seconds later), it asked for my login password. I typed it in confidently -- nada. Try again, nope. Try in caps, try in some caps, try mis-spelling it, try mis-typing it -- all a big zilch. "The password you entered is wrong", it spits out at me.

Argh.

Okay, seriously, how many combinations of nepalesetea can there be? I've tried:

nepalesetea
NEPALESETEA
NepaleseTea
napalesetea
nepelesetea
nepalitea
nepaleetea
mepalesetea
bepalesetea
ne[alesetea
neoalesetea
nepaleasetea
nepa;esetea
nepalisetea
nepalizetea

And everything in between. I don't care that I'm posting my (wrong) password here for all the world to see. I swear that if I ever gain access to my site, my passwords will have nothing to do with tea, nepalese or otherwise.

This must rank as one of the stupid(er) things I've done in my life. If anyone has any ideas on how to get out of this fix, do let me know. Thanks.

----
Update: I finally got it right! :) It was napelesetea. My spelling sucks I know, especially when writing in ********. Actually, my spelling sucks anyway. Yay! Dance, dance, dance of joy!

2 comments:

colinrt said...

re: forgetting passwords... i have that problem too... or used to... now i just stick to the one password and change the number at the end...

eg. everything will go:

nepalesetea**

where ** is a number from 00 to 99

just remember the last two numbers is all... think this will help??

mis_nomer said...

But I'll probably forget what those last two numbers are! :) Anyway, I'm pleased as pie to have gotten out of that scrap.