Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The terrible duo

For the record, my keyboard and my mouse are driving me up the wall. I swapped my original keyboard and mouse with two different colleagues 'cos they were having problems with theirs 'cos I thought I could cope with the hardware's eccentricities better, but the terrible duo is getting the better of me.

The keyboard's keys are not as springy as I like them to be, the arrow keys don't move the cursor fast enough, and its "0" key on the numberpad sticks easily so if you are not careful you end up writing this: 000000000000000000000 when all you want to say is "0". Yesterday, I used the screwdriver to open the keyboard to see if I could clean out the stickiness, but that wasn't a good idea 'cos all the little green rubber things under the keys spilled everywhere -- onto the floor, behind the chair, in the grooves, and I broke one of the latches, and THE "0" KEY STILL STICKS ANYWAY!

On to the mouse. It is a Creative optical mouse attached to the USB port. If you have a choice between a PS2 mouse and a USB mouse, always get the PS2 mouse because 1. You can never have enough available USB ports, 2. The PS2 port cannot be used for anything other than a mouse anyway, and 3. USB attached mouses (or mice?) are JUST NOT STABLE. My USB optical mouse hangs frequently, requiring me to bend under the table, reattach the mouse to a different USB port, and hope for the best. Well, at least I won't be getting stones from my desk-bound job.

I was planning to head to Sim Lim this Sunday but I think I will have to go earlier, like today, at lunch.

(You know what is sad? This is what growing old is like: your hands are not as nimble as they used to be, your limbs get "stuck", your back hurts, you can't see or hear very well, your voice trembles, and though your mind may still move a mile a minute, you just can't move fast enough. And you can't go to Sim Lim to replace your spare parts either.)

4 comments:

colinrt said...

re: growing old... surely you're still too spry and perky to be thinking such thoughts... and are probably several decades away from feeling the way I do...

and by then, who knows?... most likely, stem cell research would have yielded commercial products that you can probably buy off the shelf... eg. a new heart overhaul, spare kidneys or lungs replacement, nervous system upgrade, and even a brand new brain installed... in case the old one crashes like the stupid hard disk in my PC... or if you really want, an entirely new body to place your brain in...

mis_nomer said...

That's just too scary Colin...

Jim Jannotti said...

You don't need to be old to feel any of those things.

mis_nomer said...

Heh. True.