Pencil Shavings

Sunday, September 02, 2007

I think too much about the process of getting work done

I really need to be disciplined this week. I have so much work piled up for every class that it has exceeded the seven items I can store in my temporal lobe and so I rely excessively on iCal and Actiontastic. The thing is, it is a bit of a circular reasoning when it comes to me and my to-do list: if I write it down in my to-do list, I can usually remember it because I took the time to write it down so I don't need to refer to it anymore; if I don't write it down, then I can't remember it, nor refer to it in my list 'cos my list is full of the the stuff I can remember.

But I'm making a point of jotting everything down the minute I know it because, as I said earlier, the number of items is exceeding what I can normally remember.

I re-inherited the Palm Zire this weekend so it may help in making me more diligent in jotting things down. At present, I jot it down on paper, stick an asterisk beside it, then later that night, stick it into the list. It may work better than using the Zire actually, since the Zire doesn't have bluetooth (I'm sold on bluetooth) We'll see. I actually like having paper involved somewhere along the factory line...

I spend way too much time thinking about the process, and too little time doing it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you forgot your beautiful inbox!!!

mis_nomer said...

smole, my inbox is under a heavy pile of books and papers now...

Gwynne said...

Ah, the most sophisticated form of procrastination...you are very good! ;-)

colinrt said...

the easiest way to get stuck into the work is the Nike way: Just Do It!

altho we all procrastinate... it's the protective mechanism kicking in i think...
work = pain
therefore, -(work) = -(pain)... ie. avoidance of work = avoidance of pain

but the other part of the equation is:
-(pain) = -(gain)
ie. no pain = no gain (in monetary terms usually altho gym instructors may also think this way)

so substituting work for pain, we get:

-(work) = -(gain) or work = gain

and we derive an expression we're all familiar with about why we have to work... QED.

here's a scary thought:
what if one's employer is able to determine the amount of work done and then derive the equivalent amount of compensation in dollar terms? there'll be no room for procrastination then... as every second not working is money forgone...

so far, it's been impossible for employers to quantify the exact amount of work one does, hence the idea of a monthly wage, as opposed to one based on the volume of work done... but we're getting there...

there are already ways to measure the number of keystrokes and mouseclicks a worker does in a day... although there's still no device as yet that can measure the amount of brain activity focused on work (as opposed to thinking about the next holiday in the Maldives etc.)... thank goodness...