Pencil Shavings

Saturday, February 09, 2008

i before e (except after c)

i before e, except after c
or when sounded like an a
as in weigh, neigh, or sleigh.

drop this rule when -c sounds as -sh
like ancient, species, efficient;
but what do we do about
neither, height, leisure, weird???

Or abseil, albeit, atheist, beige,
caffeine, codeine, deity,
feisty, forfeit, heifer,
heinous, heir, meiosis,
protein, sleight, surfeit,
their—for crying out loud, THEIR, veil
?

Oh poor me,
What do I do when I forget the words
that are pronounced with an a
like deign, freight, and vein?

What do I do if I apply the rule to protien,
Forget the rule when spelling concieve,
Mispronounce deign as deegn,
And spell it diegn instead?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. Cute.

-M

mis_nomer said...

Tahnks. :) I hvae seplinlg iseuss.

Anonymous said...

Hahaaha. That reminds me of the ad for "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" (or whatever it's called)where a woman struggles to spell the word given to her and ends her failed attempt with "I'm glad God invented spell-check". God didn't, some computer scientist did! I never know whether to laugh or tear my hair out when faced with a dumb American.. heh