Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Words can never be consequence-free

Sometimes I am glad that my real-life friends don't read my blog. It gives me the freedom to write without having to worry about who my friends and family expect me to be. But of course this freedom is limited. Words can never be consequence-free. Words are powerful, terrible things, and there is no way I can just say what I like, and think that there will be no repercussions.

You musn't underestimate the power of words. The word of God is a "double-edged sword", dividing "soul and spirit", "judging the thoughts and attitudes of the heart". Just words, my friend. Imagine that. But we all know the feeling when words cut into our very hearts.

It isn't just the word of God that is powerful; the words we use are powerful too. James compares the tongue to the bit of a horse: a small part that controls the whole body. With our tongues we praise God and we curse men—oh the irony; with our tongues we can bring life and joy to our friends, or we can corrupt our entire person.

So, even in my descent into madness, I will try to keep a rein on my tongue (and my mind), so that I am not completely lost.

I will not go mad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just reminded me of a song my friend Jerry plays on his podcast sometimes: "I'm Going Slightly Mad", by Queen. :)

mrdes said...

Well, I've no problem going mad. It's an absurd, insane world after all.

Gwynne said...

Aren't we all already mad?

That's an interesting project you've got going over there...is this the first you've let it out of the bag? Or have I missed something along the way? I must be mad. :-)