Pencil Shavings

Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Bourne Identity: the 1988 version

How many of us have watched the 1988 version of The Boune Identity?

It is three hours and five minutes long. I like watching old movies because it is interesting to see how much things have changed. People in this generation have become so much more sophisticated in interpreting images on a screen. Show a microchip with the name of a Swiss bank and a string of numbers, cut to a scene of a surgeon removing the chip from a man's thigh, and any modern viewer can make the connection.

Whereas in The Bourne Identity, you get conversations like these:

Surgeon: "What do you think the microchip means?"
Bourne: "The numbers on the chip must be a bank account! I must go there now because the bank account has the answers to all our questions."
And conversations like these too:
Maria: "Put your arms around me, Jason... I need you to hold me, even if it is only for one night."
Teeheehee. The love scene, compared to modern ones, is tantalizingly slow. The man wears thermal underwear and the woman has a corset + petticoat under her bathrobe. And you can see *gasp* bulges. Quite cute, actually.

I can't remember the last time I watched a thriller without bombs, mobile phones, sports cars, and high speed chases. Instead they had radios that looked like cupboards, telephones that look like the one I remember using in the 80s (did the entire world use that model of telephone then??), and huge silencers on their guns.

Overall, very entertaining. Great plot too.

No comments: