Pencil Shavings

Thursday, August 26, 2004

All things Coke-sher

Study: Soda linked to diabetes in women
CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Women who drink more than one sweetened soft drink a day are slightly more likely to develop diabetes than women who drink less than one a month, according to a new study.
To CNN article

ack! If I ever get diabetes, it will be because of Coke. I had a coke everyday since Monday, and it keeps tasting better and better every day. One of my favorite things is opening a can of coke, pouring it into a large glass of ice, putting my ear close to hear the fizzle, sticking a straw in so that the tip is just below the ice, and taking a large gulp. Ah..

I've heard all these awful Coke stories though. Have you heard the one about the tooth that completely disintegrated after being left in a cup of coke for a few days? In Russia, they believe that Coke can smooth wrinkles. In Haiti, Coke can revive a person from the dead; in Barbados, Coke can turn copper into silver; Coke mixed with rum is Cuba Libre in the Carribean, aguadiente in Bolivia, and goodness knows what else in other countries. Howes (in Globalization and Culture) calls the re-interpreting of a product (in this case a quintessentially American drink) in different cultures the "creolization of global cultures", that is, the formation of "third cultures". At least all I do is drink it ;)

Other Coke snippets:

  • Flat coke is an excellent booster while running the marathon (according to Hal Higdon)
  • The drinks store uncle always cajoles me to pay 20 cents more for a piece of lemon in my coke. In my opinion, that's bordering on the sacrilegious.
  • Coca-cola was named for its two "medicinal" ingredients: coca leaves and kola nuts. Coca leaves contains an alkaloid that may be synthesised to make cocaine.
  • Coke did not become cocaine-free until 1929.

Well, that's it for now. I'm having soya bean milk with my toast this morning instead.


3 comments:

colinrt said...

I am also a Coke addict although I've been ordered by the doctor to lay off cos it's damaging my stomach lining so something like that... for me the best part is sniffing in the exploding bubbles just at the surface of the glass... mmmm, nice... faster fix by breathing it in, i reckon.... heh heh...

Sarah said...

I've noticed a comment or two from you on my blog so I thought I would take a look at yours.

Yes, the wonders of Coke. It is also very good at cleaning out stained coffee mugs if you let it sit over night.

mis_nomer said...

Colin - Whoa. Damaging to the stomach lining? That's scary stuff.. It gets your nose wet, the exploding bubbles. I couldn't get that close to one and not drink it!

Chelsea - ha! :) I guess we should all drink water instead.

Sarah - That's a new one. Must try it out sometime. I use a black mug for my coffee so I never notice the stains.