Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Bulging like a pregnant snake

I had a conversation with my friend yesterday evening while walking along the street. She was describing to me the cooking show she had just watched. The cook (a handsome Englishman, in her words) stuffed small aubergines with a scumptious mix of ricotta cheese and pieces of dark chocolate. The end result is wonderous bulging brinjal, "as fat as a pregnant snake". Of course I had to ask, "Hmm.. How do snakes do it anyway?" And she said, "On top of each other?" We both had to laugh. "Or beside each other? Or coiled?"

"But where are their genitals?" I asked.

Well, I looked it up, and apparently male snakes have two hemipenes (See male snake hemipenis here.) These are inserted one at a time into the females cloaca to fertilize the eggs internally. Okay, I feel a little sick now.

Anyway, after our short foray into the largely unknown (to us anyway) topic of snakes and sex, she jumped right back to how yummy the eggplant looked.

Update: Told my friend about male snakes having two hemipenes and she said, "Wah lau, snakes got all their priorities wrong! No arms, no legs, but two penes???"

No comments: