Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

confused ponderings after may day

It feels like it ought to be Monday, since yesterday was a public holiday.

Yesterday was the day after May Day. Yesterday was also the day the former President of Singapore died. I only found out this morning in the staff pantry though. Colleague said that I was behind in my news. That’s a weird thought considering I read the newspapers from cover to cover yesterday. But it wasn’t in the papers – the headlines only lauded Singapore for having a protest-less May Day, and PM Lee’s maiden May Day speech on “strong tripartite ties” between the government, the unions, and the workers. Is that what May Day is about? Protest marches? Why didn’t they tell us this in school? If I were to have a picket fence rally, I’ll protest the rising bus and train fares especially since my salary is as stagnant as a mosquitoes’ breeding ground.

Anyway, back to Mr Wee Kim Wee. mrbrown remembers him as a gentleman. Sad to say, I have no personal memories of him apart from seeing him on TV during the National Day Parade and thinking about how pleasant he looks. I also used to wonder about the extent of his legislative powers and the specific burdens he has to carry in his position. I know that the President is given the power to give clemency to those on the death row. But he can’t give everyone clemency can he? Doesn’t that undermine the entire justice system?

In any case, I think I’ll go turn on the TV at 9pm to “catch up” with the news today. Somehow I don’t think I’ll ever catch up.

No comments: