Pencil Shavings

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Play speed 1/2x

I am having a terrible case of I-don't-want-to-do-this-right-now, even though my other boss just reminded me of an important project that needs to get started by yours truly, I am still sitting here typing, day-dreaming of a day when my legs don't ache, and thinking about going Christmas shopping.

I had a surreal moment last night. A bulging bladder woke me in the middle of the night and I sat up in bed ramrod straight, staring at the route to the toilet. But I couldn't move. I was convinced that between the blessed toilet and I was a series of steep downward steps and rocks that my poor legs could not manoeuvre. So I leaned against the wall and nodded off to sleep again. I don't know how long it took me to figure out that the steps were imaginary (all but one anyway) and mustered the courage to finally get out of bed.


But enough of these embarrassing stories. I figured that if you're reading this, you may have a bad case of I-don't-want-to-do-whatever-I-have-to-do -right-now too, so here are some links to aid you along the way.

  • Do non-Christians really make the best "theological films"? Sometimes I really think so. Thom Parham makes an interesting argument in this article. (Thanks Jim for the link!)
  • George Barna has gone from being a reseracher to a fiery doomsayer. He says the end of the local church is nigh. Read Barna's summary of his new book Revolution here, and Christianity Today's article on it here. It seems like a somewhat individualistic way of doing things to me.
  • What a lot of "churchy links". Aw well. Will do different next time.

1 comment:

Jim Jannotti said...

And thank you for the Barna tip. I'll have to read his book. I'm not surprised that he seems to really have gone as far as he has. And though I don't like the idea of the "church of the individual" at all, I can't blame Barna for ending up where he did.

And for the record, I think the CT reviewer is as wrong as Barna though in the opposite direction. The Church (here in North America, at least) may just need massive amounts of people leaving as a wake up call.

Guess I'll have to do my own post on this... after I read the book. It could be a while.