Pencil Shavings

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Da Vinci Code

Hugely popular, controversial, a bee in the church’s pants, I simply had to read this novel at some point.

I wasn’t too disappointed. The first half of the book was fast-paced and immensely riveting. It started with the murder of a prominent curator and I was quickly baited by strange details surrounding the murder. As it wore on though, Dan Brown’s liberal use of italics to show the thoughts of his characters irritated me. Every few lines you get bombarded with The key to the Holy Grail! or A scroll! or The divan it is. Seriously! Gag. By the second half I was sick to death of the melodramatic italics! and the flat characters.

Da Vinci Code had an interesting plot though, but Dan Brown was helped along by the intrinsic intrigue and mystery surrounding this topic. As far as the supposed heresies of the book, well, Brown says nothing new. I will have to tackle these at a later date.

1 comment:

Jim Jannotti said...

I've not read that book. And since I have a big ole backlog of reading material, and since you got sick of it halfway through, I think I'll pass.