Pencil Shavings

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Read my screen name

Screen names say a lot about who you are and how you write. This post is for my readers. Thanks for coming by!

TrainofThot
Perfect screen name because his favourite punctuation mark is “…”. (See here, here, or anywhere at all!) His thoughts run like a train, one sentence into another, and yet almost always hit the bulls-eye with a solution or an insight, like a bullet train coming out of a tunnel. TrainofThot is the oldest (current) reader of this blog, whose first comment on this site was to re-write one of the first poems posted here in May 2004.

Smudgi3
Have you seen the various incarnations of her profile picture? They are always smudged, leaving you to wonder: who is the woman behind the words? Her words are frank and undisguised, "stripped bare" so to speak, but when it comes down to it, you'll never see her face.

Eric, of The Fireant Gazette
Eric's writing is as passionate as fire and as conscientious as an ant. He works hard at blogging, conscientiously writing day after day in order to make a difference in his part of the world. He is a fiery champion for the needy, and at the end of many blogging winters, always decides to carry on. The Fireant Gazette is Pencil Shavings identical twin, started on the exact same day, 8 November 2002.

Canopy
No matter how hard you try, you will never get her to reveal a single detail of her real life -- not a school name or a place or a date or a restuarant or anything -- she knows and respects the power of google. Writing with succint clarity, Canopy's Green Mountainsides and Wildflowers is about the forest, not the individual trees.

Jim, of Serotoninrain
Serotonin the neurotransmitter; Jim the master of links. Jim will be the first person to tell you about the latest Firefox update, the power of a new application, and even the latest gag on emergent Christianity. Witty, humourous and real, Serotoninrain is more than a list of links -- it touches on appetite, desire and emotions, just as its chemical equivalent.

Popagandhi
Technically not a reader of this blog, but an extremely intriguing writer. She is a curious mix -- a lover and a Christian, a writer and a photographer, a traveller and a stay-at-home daughter -- just as the word `popagandhi' is an uncomfortable tension between pop culture and radical religiousity. She also writes Mac propaganda, converting masses of Window users with her Gandhi-like sincereity. Popagandhi also goes by Poppy and Skinnylatte.

Moi-Carine
This woman runs like a speed demon. Down-to-earth and unpretentious, she uses her real name `Carine' as her screen name. She is your likeable girl-next-door, except she is Mauritian, not Singaporean. How can you not want to be like her? She loves kittens, running, food, her boyfriend, and she has only sworn once in her blogging career. Only once. Now, that's something to aspire to!

Mystery reader from the Liberty University, Virginia
You came by this blog searching for "sneezing in the light" and have come by occassionally since then. You never leave a comment though. Scary huh, that I know this much. :) Don't worry, I'm perfectly harmless.

Now that I've butchered your screen names, you can tell me what your screen names really mean. ;)

6 comments:

Jim Jannotti said...

This is no doubt the most creative "link love" post ever. I'm honored to be included in it.

Thanks so much... I shall trasmit this for sure ;-)

colinrt said...

haha... you’ve hit it right on the spot, mis_nomer... or should I say dots?...

my eponymous screen-name was derived from the blog i used to write when i first started commuting via the trains... since i now take a regular cabbie to work, this greater comfort has robbed me of the daily stimulation that formed the impetus and inspiration for my posts... hence, it’s untimely demise...

as for the use of ellipses, they’re an affectation i picked up from literature classes back in secondary school, which i subsequently used to great effect in the angsty poems of my pimply-faced teens... it’s supposed to represent my thought-stream... and have written all my diaries, letters and emails in this manner since... and as such, my friends and family have gotten used to seeing the dots in abundance in my correspondence...

smudgi3 said...

Thank you, for understanding what I've never put down in words, and immortalising what I've come to realise. Those who have seen my face disprove of my frank and undisguised opinions, while those who enjoy reading my blog will never see my face.

Anonymous said...

Heh I see my name here! :P I almost forgot about that f entry hehhaha

-carine

Canopy said...

I didn't realise anyone was trying to get me to reveal details of my real life... how sinister

haha

Emily said...

haha, i suppose i dont have a proper screename. i dont post enough, i suppose i'm paranoid of the boss coming in. glad to feel apart of things though. i enjoy it here.