Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My brain is possessed

I have such a horrid headache. It feels like an octopus has gotten a clamp on my brain and it is squeezing slowly and methodically. Yeow.

But otherwise, I'm happy to be spending the day at home. I think I need to instil a few more habits on my "off days" to keep the headache at bay, like waking up earlier, going for a morning jog, and most importantly, GETTING MY CUP OF JAVA.

Not that anyone out there cares about the trivial bits of my life. Ah, the illusions of blogging.

Anyway, my sister and brother-in-law arrive from Shanghai this evening. They will be putting up in my tiny HDB flat for an entire month so I'll have my huge angmoh bro-in-law and his affectionate self (and stubbly chin) in very close proximity to make up for the two years' absence. I mean, I'm excited I get to hang out with my sister, but I'm also quite stressed because I don't know how to fit everyone in. It upsets my routine and I'm afraid that my neatly separated life will fall apart. Hanging out with the fam also makes me feel like a heathen because they are so expressive about their faith. I think it is the preacher's kid syndrome, without the clergyman father.

Oh the joys of family.

Sometimes I get so stressed by the details of the moment that I forget the preciousness of the moment. (I call this the Martha syndrome. I'm full of syndromes today.) I won't get to hang out with family and friends forever, on this earth anyway, and I need to remind myself of that fact when I get stressed about manoeuvring so that I can please everyone. God help me remember so that I won't be a sour plum this June.

June Resolution #1: I will not be a sour plum.
June Resolution #2: I will not be driven crazy by expectations.
June Resolution #3: I will have a cup of Java to keep the octopus at bay.

The adventure continues...

1 comment:

mis_nomer said...

:) Thank you!