Pencil Shavings

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Blogger Categories

I just created categories for my blog. It is a somewhat tedious process, but the earlier you decide to do it, the more work you would save. This was how I did it:

1. Create a new blog for each category.
I have three categories for now, running, reading and poems. These were the blogs created (`category blogs'):

the pencil runs:       http://onemillionruns.blogspot.com/
the pencil reads:     http://onemillionreads.blogspot.com/
the pencil poems:   http://onemillionpoems.blogspot.com/

2. Copy template from main blog and paste into category blogs.
This ensures that your entire website has the same look. I used the same template except that I included a link back to the main page in the category pages. I also ensured that the links in the category blogs made sense, for example "Home" should lead back to main page rather than to the category blog.

3. Populate category blogs with relevant previous posts.
This is the tedious part of the process. What I did was to go through my archives and copy and paste each individual post, remembering to change the date to match the original date.

4. Tweak email settings in main blog and category blogs.
Email all new posts in the main blog to yourself by specifying your email address under "Settings" and "Email". Set a mail-to-blogger email for all category blogs so that you can publish via email. Remember to tick the "Publish" box.

5. Start posting!
When you post to your main blog, a copy of the post will be emailed to you. Forward the post to your category blog via the secret email address and it will be published. You could also set your email rules to automatically forward the emails.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woow, sounds like a lot of work. Have you considered moving to a platform with categories feature?

mis_nomer said...

Very fleetingly only. I think I'm too cheap. :)