Pencil Shavings

Thursday, June 01, 2006

US immigration is quite the pain

I feel robbed.

After 20 hours of flying, very rude US immigration officials took away
about $70 worth of foodstuff we brought for my sister and her dog.
They took away the chicken BBQ-ed meat (because they couldn't take our
word that it was chicken, not beef), the spinach dog food snack which
had chicken and fish in it, the chicken dog food snack, and the raw
hide (that one I understand). Everything was sealed and vacumm
packed.

They were really rude about it too. It was the way they handled the
contents of your bag, ripping things open and throwing it about, and
talking to you as if you were deliberately trying to lie. If I was
trying to pull a fast one, would I even have declared the food in the
first place? I was so peeved that after they ripped open the stuff in
my face with a knife, I slammed the bag shut and swung the 35kg bag
right off, with my petite frame and all. They knew I was mad, so they
detained me and asked to check my bag pack, although it had passed
through the machine.

So I let them check it. They asked if I was a student -- No, not
anymore, but what do you care? I thought -- I told them all I had were
a packet of biscuits in there -- and they looked anyway, and said,
"Oh. Cookies." And then I zipped up the bag fuming mad and walked
away.

I don't even know why my mum bought $50 worth of chicken BBQ meat in
the first place! I suppose she was just trying to be sweet and to get
my sister some of her favourite stuff -- dang it, we don't even buy it
for our Chinese New Year because it is too `expensive'! Sheesh.

So, 1. Don't bring anything that is not labelled "Chicken" in English.
But, 2. Even if it is labelled chicken in English, no guarantees
mate, especially if it isn't manufactured in the US of A.

3 comments:

colinrt said...

ahaha... you'll look back at this and laugh... because it sounds very george dubbya to me...

"Ma'am, you shorre you have no weapeens of mass destrruction in yourr dere bag?"

"Da only BBQ meats are those derr good ol' boys make down at de rranch... and they'rre made of good ol' US of A beef... Cheeken BBQ sounds like somethin the Al Qaeda is trrying to smuggle in to blow up somethin."

"Arre you shorre you'rre Singaporreen? You look like Chinese to me... Which parrt of China is Singaporre?"

"It's nearr wherre? Malaysia and Indonesia? Ain't dat where dem Islamists come frrum dat blew up dem toorrists? You must be one of dem too... lousy terrrorrrist...."

and make sure you roll'em Rs as you say the sentences...

Anonymous said...

if it makes you feel any better, the british immigration is not much better and australian is a near third. maybe you just look like bedraggled chinese immigrants (considering it was such a long flight!)

Canopy said...

All agricultural countries are like that. New Zealand is so strict, they'll ask you where your backpack and boots have been.