Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The Blogging Phenomenon - Part II

On Blogging
An interesting way to blog was spearheaded by Geof Huth in his site One Million Footnotes. He describes the content in his site as such: "Footnotes to a nonexistent book, a series of observations, a novel without the plot, the autobiography of an imagination, linked poetry of the everyday world, an impossible goal." His blog created the catalyst for the formation of other footnote sites, all of which may be found in the links on his sidebar. Recently, blogger.com featured his site as a "blog of note", resulting in a poliferation of comments. The comments built stories around the footnotes.

Taking this footnoting business one step further is 4thra in Finish This. She takes footnotes from other footnoters and weaves them into another story of her own. This creates an intricate web and the sentences take on complex meanings. It is hard to make it work though and I wish her the best of luck. I have a tribute to her attempt here.

On another less pleasent note, I realised someone block-quoted me in his site. It is a bit disconcerting because the site is titled "Helf Pent.. Short Jokes" and I'm not sure what is funny about that particular bunch of lines I wrote. I don't mind it though, it is not malicious, just a little weird. It is a complex web.

No comments: