Pencil Shavings

Thursday, December 02, 2004

flickering images on my screen


Laszlo Balogh/Reuters

I love this pic! It was on the home page of New York Times today. The caption read: "Members of the opposition gathered in the tens of thousands in Independence Square in Kiev, Ukraine. " Now I don't know the first thing about politics in Ukraine - who the opposition party is and what the "sweeping organisation of political power" there amounts too - but I was drawn by the life, the excitment, the comadarie in the faces of these strangers. Well done, Mr Photographer!

It was exciting last night here in Singapore as well. It was the finals of the Singapore Idol - I came home to watch the results and the adoring fans scream their lungs out on tv. I think the sweetest thing about the whole thing is that it takes ordinary, run-of-the-mill Singaporeans and gives them an experience of something dreams are made off - right here in stuffy pragmatic Singapore. It was interesting to watch how they transformed and took on the roles of stars; how mediacorp carved their image like a potter with bits of clay. My vote wasn't with either of the two finalists though. I liked Olinda - she had spunk.


4 comments:

Shawn Cuthill said...

Wow are you in Singapore? I'm honoured.

Anonymous said...

I didn't vote for any of them, but I'm surprised that Taufik won. But happy too;) I was dreading the moment when they'd announce the winner as Sly, cos he's too popular...lol. Anyways, notice how Olinda was the only one who wasn't stiff and standing in line to be hugged by Taufik? The rest were like waiting for the winner to go to them and give em a hug...how typically Singaporean...pfft. And the crowd was a nightmare, as usual...no energy, except for those girly fans.
~Siren

mis_nomer said...

hi siren

i was just wondering what happened to your webpage. it was missing all day. under renovation? :)

yah. she went right up and hugged him, in the middle of his song too. what spunk! :) a shame that she doesn't have "mass appeal". sigh.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, she didn't have mass appeal cos well, she's a little plump and two, she's supposed to be a lesbian?? And this doesn't go too well with singaporeans apparently...Pfft. When will we change?!
Oh, my hostess is broke right now, and so her domain has expired. As such, I think I shall be back in mayne a week's time if she manages to get un-broke:) Well, I'm not moving anywhere else any time soon, cos I love my hostess;)
~Siren