Pencil Shavings

Monday, December 20, 2004

The Great Christmas Party

Loti and Nan and the Great Christmas Party. It is 5:10pm and I am in no mood to work. We had our office Christmas party today. My colleagues Loti and Nan (haha! Loti and Nan - get that? Loti - Bread in Hokkien; Nan - Indian flat bread.) Anyway. Loti and Nan did a great job decorating the hall with balloons, stenciled "snow", and a cool Christmas tree. I played the guitar, printed the programme, and made an animated invitation for the party.

The animated invitation was the most fun bit of it - I used a pic of our headquarters, used the "trace bitmap" function in flash to make it look like a graphic, then created a movie clip within of falling snow. May I add that the snow not only falls, it also drifts, and if it goes off the side of the box, it will reappear on the top to fall again. After that, all's left is to add a "Start"button, a "RSVP" button (email will open up immediately, with subject), a "Play again" button, and music. I used the track of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" from Vocaluptous, a local acapella group. Lots of fun. :)

So I am officially in a holiday mood. This is the first year I'm getting presents for the parents. Got my mum a long-sleeved top and a pair of googles that will correct her eyesight to a 1000 degrees. How cool is that? I've never seen goggles with 1000 degrees before, but there it was, with a 20% discount to boot.

(On a side note, why is "to boot" acceptable while "some more" is not? "To boot" was probably only slang once upon a time, just like "some more" is now.) Dad will also get a razor. My parents are getting so spoiled this year. :)

My family has never been big about celebrating Christmas. Never had a tree, never gave gifts, never had stockings, never had eggnog (who wants eggnog in hot Singapore though?). This year I'm piling their gifts on top of the tv beside the sprig of saga seeds. My mum is hilarious. The other day, there was a strong wind and the saga tree near my place shredded lots of pods of saga seeds. Mum picked a sprig up, put it in a large red plastic bottle (free from kit kat), and it is now our flower substitute. Will post a picture later.


No comments: