Pencil Shavings

Thursday, March 17, 2005

blogging issues



Decided to play around with the layout of this blog and ended up with more problems than I started with. But I like the more "finished" look of this site for now, so I'm going to see if I can work through the bugs.

Installed the code to add a "read more!" button to truncate my longer posts. Internet is interactivity so you might as well fly with it.

The contents in the right column (viewed in IE) are pushed down way to the bottom. I read somewhere that it is a problem with my pictures and tables being too large. In IE, the container enlarges to fit its content, so if I put a picture that is too large in the main column of my blog, the container enlarges, bumping all the content down in the next column. Brilliant. So these are my proposed solutions:

1. Re-size all my pics manually. (What a bother!)
2. Increase main column width (But that affects the layout of the entire page)
3. Don't do anything about it. :)

I've started a flickr account. And I like it a bunch so far. :) It appears less cranky than hello, and it gives you cool features, like the "flickr stamp" you see in the column in the right (pushed way down of course, at least until I get it fixed.) My flickr stamp are of my running routes. But how do I limit the stamp's range to a particular group of pictures in flickr?

I'm considering taking my running log offline. Since end July last year, I've jogged 279 kilometers in 42 hours. It is so much easier to keep track in excel, and no one looks at my log anyway, and it is really a record just for me. But of course if I take it off, all my earlier links would be dead, but no one looks in the archives anyway.

I'm also considering taking onemillionpictures offline. I used this page primarily as a "holding place" for the pictures in Pencil Shavings, and now if my flickr use goes without a hitch, I may not need this blog anymore. I kinda like the name though.

see, you can read more!

No comments: