Pencil Shavings

Thursday, March 10, 2005

more kind than home, more large than earth

I stumbled upon this passage in my reading last night. Thomas Wolfe gave one of the finest modern visions of the kingdom to come in his last book, You Can't Go Home Again. It came to him before he knew of his fatal illness.
-----
Dear Fox, old friend, thus have we come to the end of the road that we were to go together... and so farewell.
But before I go, I have just one more thing to tell you.
Something has spoken in the night, burning the tapers of the waning year; something has spoken in the night, and told me I shall die. I know now where. Saying:
“To lose the earth you know, for greater knowing; to lose the life you have, for greater life; to leave the friends you loved, for greater loving; to find a land more kind than home, more large than earth –
– Whereon the pillars of this earth are founded, toward which the conscience of the world is tending – a wind is rising, and the rivers flow.”
-----
A land more kind than home, more large than earth... What a heartwarming vision! This phrase brought tears to my eyes. When I lie dying, I shall remember Christ; when I wake, I shall touch his face for the very first time.

No comments: