Pencil Shavings

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Terry Schiavo

The legal tussle for Terry Schiavo's life has dominated the front pages of US papers this week. Some words are very emotive, like "starving to death", and "no chance of recovery". To me, it boils down to these questions:

1. Is Terry Schiavo alive?
Yes. The only thing that differentiates Schiavo and me is that one, she is unable to feed herself, and two, she is incapable of responding or relating to the outside world. The first problem does not mean she is any less of a human being - if I get to 90 I may need help with my food too. About the second, I think the human consciousness is over-rated. I think it is part of what it means to be human, but it is not the ONLY gauge of homo sapien life. Aren't there people with down syndrome who seem incapable of communicating with the world, but yet are given the same rights as everyone else?

2. Does a feed tube constitute ordinary care?
Yes, I think so, as food and drink is somehow different from being on an apparatus that helps you breathe, or your heart to beat.

3. Do we have the right to die?
I'm not sure. Personally, I will not use this right, but that is because of my own beliefs. As I did not choose to be born, I will not choose to die. As to whether society should confer to us the right to die is a whole different kettle of fish. I don't see why not, frankly, but at least in Schiavo's case, it is not proven without doubt that she would have chosen to die. Also, what is stopping her from changing her mind now? Maybe being in a vegetative state is not as we "non-vegetative states" perceive it to be?

4. What are the alternatives?
Really, we all have to die from something or other. If Schiavo does not get her feeding tube re-inserted, she will die from lack of food and drink. Otherwise, it may be pneumonia, or an infection, or something else. The tragedy is not her dying -- it was what happened ten years ago -- and I feel very sorry for the family that it had to stretch out for so long.

If I were her gaurdian, I would choose to continue the feeding tube, but not have any further extraordinary care, such as resuscitation or antibiotics etc. But who am I, or the court, or the politicians to say?

I pray for God's mercy on her and her family, that they will have relief.

1 comment:

Emphatico said...

We share similar sentiments over the Schiavo case. And God is the only one who'll give them peace over the whole thing. One thing that bothers me is that if Mr. Schiavo took his vows seriously, then he would be forsaking all others, in sickness and in health - and it's reported that he hasn't done this. There's allegedly another woman and he has several children by her. That makes it simple for file for divorce based on infidelity - which would make him not her husband, and then they wouldn't have this "problem".

He lost his place when he found another bed. IMHO

m.