Pencil Shavings

Sunday, November 06, 2005

An absolutely chillilific weekend

I cooked a huge pot of chilli this weekend. And for the first time in my life, I felt the allure of being a cook. It is in the eating! Nothing else! Dicing the onion made me cry, peeling the tomatoes was a pain, but it is all worth it when you can scoop for yourself a large bowl of chilli at the end of a long run.

Bragging aside, the chilli really rocked. It was everything I remembered it to be. Ground beef, onions, kidney beans with melted cheese and saltine crackers.. ah. I was in seventh heaven all weekend long. This was how I did it:

Ground beef
1 large onion
Garlic
Tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans
1 can tomato puree
Chilli padi
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
Pepper

1. Crush garlic and dice onion. Brown ground beef, onion and crushed garlic in a pan. Add crushed chilli padi and pepper. Turn off fire.

2. Peel tomatoes.

3. Put kidney beans (with water), tomato puree, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, beef (with onions etc.) into pressure cooker. Cook on low fire, stirring occasionally.

4. Scoop into small bowl, top with shredded cheese and saltine crackers. Eat.

Very fuss-free. I browned the beef and peeled the tomatoes the night before and in the morning, stuck everything in the slow cooker while I went for a long morning run. Unfortunately the slow cooker was not working so I had to cook it over the fire, but it didn't take too long. It is the perfect lunch after a run -- lots of protein and carbo -- perfect with a rented movie too. :)

Update: Eric says "No. Beans. In. Chili." and posts a link to the Chili Appreciation Society International (CASI) Official Rule Book, which is a hilarious document! Whaddaya say? Beans or no beans?

6 comments:

mis_nomer said...

I'm glad you decided to leave a comment 'cos I love the CASI Official Rule Book! :)

Really? No beans in Chilli? All the recipes I've found seem to have them.

Must try them without beans the next time. :) It means that the dish will cost more though.

Anonymous said...

U didn't say how much ground beef! Also, can I use ground chicken breast if I don't eat beet?

mis_nomer said...

I'm not sure how much ground beef, that's why I didn't write it down. :) $7 worth from Carrefour. Probably 500grams? This recipe is much more detailed than mine.

Not sure how it'll taste like with ground chicken though. I think the Texan will find it sacrilegious. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ok, tks. Will try out with minced chicken and then let u know.

mis_nomer said...

Hee hee. :)

Jim Jannotti said...

No beans. No beans. No beans ever.

Yet every single bowl of chili I've ever eaten has had BEANS. AAAAHHHH!

I love beans, just not in chili. please!

Okay, I feel better now.