Pencil Shavings

Sunday, April 22, 2007

A compendium of books

Because I haven't had time to blog about these individually, here is a list, tinkertailor-style.

Watchmen by Alan Moore is a classic. The anxiety of the '80s pervade this collection, affecting even the superheros. It is a story about superheros, which really isn't so much my kind of thing. Isn't it awful that I have such stereotypical taste?






With Endless Nights, I've finished The Sandman Series, and what a strange, wonderful, fantastic journey it has been. Each of the seven Endless is given a tale to tell in this volume. I love Death's story. Despair's I read quickly, afraid of her hook that snares the heart. The artwork is drool-worthy.






I'm about half-way through The Sandman Companion by Hy Bender. Did you know that there is a DC universe of characters? Did you know that if one character dies in one story, he dies in all? Strange isn't it? This is one of those behind the scenes book. Great for juicy tidbits. Die lah, I think Elle is right, I am a 30 year-old fan!




The Dream Hunters was created by Gaiman as a 10th anniversary volume in celebration of The Sandman series. It isn't a comic but an illustrated story. It is about a monk, a fox, and the Sandman of all-night dreaming. It reads fast.





And that's about it, my narrow scope of books.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm getting impatient waiting for something Sandman to appear on the shelves of Borders. But no, it's never there! Stupid big stores that disappoint. Where do you get your copies?

I loved The Dream Hunters. The pictures are all over my room wall. Haha.

mis_nomer said...

Kinokuniya to buy; National Library to borrow (Central, Orchard, Bukit Merah, AMK)

Kinokuniya is pretty cool on the graphic novel front. I own more than I should.

Do you have the picture of the fox woman in the monk's arm? Her boobs look too low. That's my opinion anyway.

mrdes said...

Yup, I think too that Kinokuniya has a great collection of graphic novels and Asian writers. The Dream Hunters was my first graphic novel; thanks for reminding:)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting that The Dream Hunters is so well-loved. I only read it cos I stumbled onto it on the bookshelf at the library. It is an interesting permutation of the Sandman story.