Pencil Shavings

Friday, April 13, 2007

Thoughts on turning thirty

Turn thirty today
Terrific terrible thought
On the thirteenth, too



I'm having a great day, in a quiet and pensive way. It's kinda cool to go to work and not have a single person know that it is your birthday. It is like having a birthday incognito. I know, I'm strange.

I'm happy to leave the twenties behind, especially since Smole and I completed the one thing we wanted to do before we hit the big three-oh, that is, to train for and finish a marathon. It is a great way to end the twenties, hand-in-hand at the finish line after a grueling 42.195km. What else will we accomplish in the next decade? I don't know. I'm glad I have ten years to plan, God willing.

The twenties were tumultuous times for me, both emotionally and spiritually. Ugly break-ups, coupled with horrendous internal struggles about who I am, what I should or should not be doing, and what I ought to be accomplishing. There was a lot of dying to self and painful growing up when I realised that life does not always turn out to be the fairy tale that I want it to be. I'm relieved that phase is over with.

Now I'm thirty. My life is pretty much set in place. I don't think I will ever marry nor have children, and I'm okay with that. Every decision we make affects the rest of our lives – some in a minute way, some in a huge way – and I am finally brave enough to look at the future in the eye and say, "You are mine. Every bit of you. Future joys and heartaches to come, death and living, boredom and thrills, singing and gloom."

It is a great day to be alive.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, mis_nomer.

colinrt said...

whoa!!! the big three-oh... a very happy birthday to you, MN...

i have two thoughts to leave with you...

Mark Twain said: "Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

T-o-T says: "If it's all downhill from this point on, simply take your foot off the pedal and coast!"

lol...

Anonymous said...

Of cos u'll get married. I know of pple who marry for the first time when they r in their 60s. So, the best is yet to be cf Browning

“Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, the last of life, for which the first was made. Our times are in his hand who saith, 'A whole I planned, youth shows but half; Trust God: See all, nor be afraid!'”

Belated happy birthday -- L

mrdes said...

I rejoice in your breath-taking moments, and this is one of them. Happy Birthday! So I see you bought yourselves some graphic novel?

smudgi3 said...

Happy Birthday, mis_momer!
http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g3/high.htm

Renohtaram said...

happy birthday, my friend!

i've now got the date recorded in my diary! :)

kops21 said...

happy belated birthday....

mis_nomer said...

Gosh.. jim, tetanus, eric, TOT, gwynne, L, mrdes, smudgi3, reno, and kops.. thanks for the birthday wishes! they made my day. :)

Eric.. I can't believe you had it marked in your calendar!

TOT.. taking my foot off the pedal even as I type. ;) Certainly hope to coast through the next five weekdays.

L.. that's a great quote..

mrdes.. heh. if I got it myself I wouldn't have bothered with the ribbon. :) Endless Nights is great, btw. Artwork is superb. I think I may read the entire series all over again.

reno.. now you have it in your diary too? oh dear *paiseh*

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!!!! -milktea

Anonymous said...

happy quiet birthday little mis_nomer! i don't think your thrities are going to be just as quiet...but what surprises to look forward to! ~ smole

Anonymous said...

Happy 30th. It's good to read that you're not depressed about getting older. It would have been such a rotten cliche.

You're a 30 year old Neil Gaiman fan. That just cracked me up :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you learned that modern civilization brings value of human life, value of individual's contribution to society far beyond the basic, animalistic atavisms such as child-bearing. Indeed, the United States and other developed countries have been doing it for years - outsourcing less qualified work to Asia and only doing things that no one else could be doing. Since Singapore is actively recruiting gifted students from the surrounding countries, the government clearly sees both sides of the picture: the need for its citizens to focus on core activities - creating value for Singapore and the world as a whole, the need for the population to be maintained or even grow, and the need for this growth to be of the highest quality. With uncertainties inherent to the births, having a huge pool to choose from (China, Malaysia, you name it) makes it much easier to select who needs to be in Singapore and who doesn't.