Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

After Lunch Update

One reason never to post details of your personal and possibly scandalous life online is that once you post it, it never really goes away. You could take it down from the internet, but it is possible for someone to put the cache content up again, even under the original url, as this person has done in this site.

It has been said that technology is advancing so quickly that they will soon be capable of recognising faces in the photos you put online. Mark, a contributer to Boing Boing, shared this in an interview with The Straits Times this past weekend.

Not to mention the fact that the more details you put online, the easier for acquaintances to search for your blog. (I confess, I have searched for and found websites of aquaintances by this means). Even if people don't search for the site, it becomes easier to recognise the owner if you were to bump into it accidentally. (That too, I have experienced.)

All in all, I was going to post about what we did for lunch and the route of my runs yesterday and the day before, but this is turning out to be a largely paranoid post. So don't mind me as I log off for a while now and go get some real work done. Like chilling a few cans of iced lemon tea for later.

2 comments:

Canopy said...

My friends complained about my propensity for finding their online journals.

mis_nomer said...

I agree with you. It is really a matter of knowing what to look for actually.

Just wondering, do you think it is ethical to actively search for a friend's website?