Pencil Shavings

Monday, August 15, 2005

Tales from Tioman

Well, I'm back from three days of frollicking at Tioman. Snorkelling, nasi lemak, lontong, sunset, bbq squid, bbq chicken wings, ramly burger, swinging from a tree, stories of a giant montary eel, what more can a person ask for on a holiday? :)

We tried running on the sand for the first time in Tioman. Some stretches of sand were better than others. The worst stretch of sand was too soft. Your foot kinda crumbled into the sand after you take a step, and it doesn't crumble evenly either, so it made you lunge sideways a little before you pick up your foot again. Quite a waste of energy I say! I could feel the sand sucking out all my speed and, er hmm, grace.

But it wasn't too bad, really. I'm kinda regretting being a wimp and not signing up for the Real Run this weekend, but I've such a large and full belly from being on holiday that maybe not having signed up may be a good idea after all. I also have blisters on my heel from the snorkelling fins and blisters on my little toe from running with sand and bits of coral in my sandals. Haha! I'm such a wimp! :)

Anyway, I'm thinking of going for a slow jog this evening to get the miles in this week. I am so not a water lover. I was telling my friend that while I admire and respect the sea, I don't love it. In water, I feel out of element. At least when I run, my movements seem to make aerodynamic sense -- I can exert more energy and speed up if I wanted to; in water, all my strokes seem a waste of energy. Even if I used all my strength, I would only be making bigger splashes in the same spot, which is very depressing.

And I really have to get back to work now.

2 comments:

Mostly Another Gaudy Grouch In Exile said...

Islands retreats, my favourite. Always so relaxing. I feel out of element in water too but I love most water sports.
And running on sand, that's good training.

mis_nomer said...

Going to islands is bad for the running log though! Sigh...