Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Alone in the Universe, by David Wilkinson


I have one thing to say: QUIRKY. This book covered everything from UFO sightings to crop circles to conspiracy theories to life on Mars to Star Trek. I don't think I was in Wilkinson's target demographic group because everything was just a little too quirky for me.

What does the Carpenter's song "Calling all interplanetary craft" have to do with anything? Wilkinson starts one of his early chapters with a quote from this guy: "I am convinced there is life out there. It is only a matter of when we find it." Which made me sit up, choke a bit on my beverage of choice, and look at the cover again to check the title of what I was reading.

Wilkinson ends the book on a more sober note. He says that for now, there is very little evidence that points to life apart from earth, but that our desire to find other types of life-forms is representative of our longing NOT to be alone, and that we are in fact not alone, because Jesus came 2000-odd years ago.

I know Wilkinson isn't implying this, but the thought of Jesus as an alien life form gives me the creeps.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, it's exactly the sort of book I read in my conspiracy theories abound in the universe adolescence mode;) I think you should try Erich von Daniken - but be careful not to drink anything while you're at it. He's quite the sensationalist.

Jesus was a spaceman theories are always fun to read;)

mis_nomer said...

Erich von Daniken you say? Hmm. He may give this hierarchy-respecting, line-toting old fogey a heart attack. :)

Jesus as a spaceman.. I suppose he did walk on water, turn water into wine, rise from the dead, walk through walls.. BUT HE WAS SO JEWISH!! Unless the aliens were secretly studying the Jews and decided to send their alien incognito. What a weird weird thought...

Anonymous said...

BUT HE WAS SO JEWISH!!

Haha;)

Re. Daniken, he gave me a pseudo heart attack and I'm not even a traditionalist when it comes to religion. If you do end up with his book on your lap due to utter curiosity, please note that the pictures, photos in his book are mostly cleverly manipulated to put his point across.

mis_nomer said...

Thanks for the warning, elle. :)

Guess what? This post was picked up by "UFO Review". Under "Ufology/Extraterrestrial Life", there is an article titled "Alone in the Universe, by David Wilkinson" that gets linked to this post. Hmm.

Anonymous said...

What the heck is this UFO review? -_- But the point is, your review is famous. LOL.

mis_nomer said...

.. in the UFO community, that is.

I wish some of them passing through would leave a comment though!