Pencil Shavings

Thursday, September 07, 2006

For 60 cents

My father is a part-time courier for a small law firm. He used to get paid $500 a month to be there five-days a week full-time, but now he gets paid per job.

Today, when I got home with the char siew pau (BBQ pork bun), four siew mais (steamed pork dumplings) and two har gaos (steamed shrimp dumpling) I picked up from Tiong Bahru on my bike ride home, I asked my mum where my dad was. She said that he went to Pasir Ris in the afternoon to serve a letter, and was waiting for it to be past 7pm so that he could get the concession price for the bus ride home.

Kinda makes you want to rob a bank and buy a car, if you know what I mean.

4 comments:

Gwynne said...

...or just steal the car. ;-)

mis_nomer said...

Auditors are so good at streamlining processes. ;)

colinrt said...

that's just warped... and dehumanising... the day will come when we get to his age and feel the fullness of a working world turned on its head by idiots who've never worked a day in their lives...

i'm talking about the bureaucrats who think that old equals high cost and that experience can be substituted for by three kids just out of high school... and the same retards who want us to work till we're 65 or 70 so that we can die from the work and they do not have to pay out the years of CPF owed to us... sigh...

mis_nomer said...

TOT, you understood the feelings behind the words.

Nevertheless, my father is a very happy man, much happier now than when he was working anyway. :) So with a bit of planning, growing old may not be that bad.