Pencil Shavings

Friday, December 08, 2006

Swift and fat as tuna

So I ran 42.195km on Sunday, and four days later, what does my mother say to me? She says that I've put on weight and that I look fatter in my face! Gracious me! There is no winning this race.

I'm inclined to agree with her though. All that carbo-loading before the marathon has increased my stomach capacity. The day before the marathon, I ate enough for a small army. I'm still eating enough for a small army.

Anyway, I've stopped running for now 'cos I want my Illiotibial Band to heal up properly. I've set up an appointment to see the sports doctor because I want to run for life, not just one brilliant, exploding spark the year before I turn 30.

Meanwhile, I'm working on my freestyle in public pools all over Singapore. I'm going to write a review on public pools soon: toilets, cleanliness, price, the works. Swimming the freestyle still tires me out completely, but Smole tells me that I'm actually getting better! My new mantra is: "Swift as tuna!" (as opposed to my mantra the weeks leading up to the race: "Ma-ra-thon. Ma-ra-thon" as I gasp for air and sink...)

There are so many new things to learn and master.

[I can't open the comments on this post for some reason, very strange.]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do cleanse yourself thoroughly after each round at the pools because bodily fluids are erm, usually clear, and stay away from small children because their mums always tell them to pee into the pool if they need to go, because it's erm, convenient. And do keep clear of certain public pools because erm, you might not be welcome there, being, you know, female.

And don't quote me. *looks around in fear

Anonymous said...

I like your determination and your new mantra

Gwynne said...

Swimming will become more natural and less oxygen depriving the more you do it. I'm convinced it is the best all around sport for aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. And not nearly as much stress on your joints and IB (although I had a bad case of shoulder bursitis once that I tried to "just swim through" and ultimately, only complete rest healed it...I have a feeling the same is true for your IB). "Swift as tuna" is a great mantra! ;-)

Renohtaram said...

good, rest ur legs :) and anyway, you are NOT fat =D

enjoy your swimming!

Anonymous said...

I am inspired. there's a pool over at the place I stay. I might try swimming one of these days too. :) -milktea

mis_nomer said...

smudgi3, you know, now that you mention it, I've had mini pimple breakouts the day after my swims. I probably ought to bring a small tube of facial wash with me next time..

b, without the urgency of a marathon, my determination flags. ;) but i think it is cool mantra too!

Gwynne, wow, you had shoulder bursitis? You must be a hard-core swimmer! I think that is it: my body isn't used to the oxygen deprivation, that's why I gasp for air so much. Swimming is a great sport. Much better for the body I think.

Hi reno, how you know I not fat anyway? Heh.

Milktea, go for it! It'll be fun. :) I just hope it isn't too cold where you are...