Pencil Shavings

Friday, December 15, 2006

Three years running, two weeks lazing

Dang it, I am getting fat! It took me three years to look somewhat like a runner, but it takes only two weeks to accumulate a happy soft layer over the chin and belly. How horrendous.

I must, I must, I must cut down the sugar in my beverages. Until I can run again, it is kopi kosong (black coffee) and water for me. How to tide through the Christmas season?

Isn't it strange that it only took three years to go from fretting about running the first 10k to fretting about the first marathon? In June 2004 I said: "the thought of being able to complete 10k gives me a high." Wow. And then I said something deep about how training for a physical race is like training for the spiritual. Three years, but I haven't progressed much in the latter.

This is a photo entitled "Three years running": from left, 10km Gold Coast, Australia; 21.1km Standard Chartered; Mt Kinabalu; 21.1km Sheares Bridge; 42.195km Standard Chartered. There was a 12km Sheares Bridge Run between the 10km and the 21.1km too. Step by step towards the prize, if you know what I mean.

Three years running

I can't help but wonder if the elation I felt when I saw the finishing line will be akin to my feelings at the end of the world.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 2 Tim 4:7


I hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

3 years is a long time. congrats!
oh, and thanks for the birthday wishes!