Pencil Shavings

Sunday, June 17, 2007

When love dries out

Falling in love is a preposterous idea. What do you love, the way he tilts his head when he looks at you? The elusive dimple at the corner of his smile? The way he flatters you? That tenor in his voice that echoes in your head long after you hang up the telephone? Can you understand another person, distill his very being into words and write a three page essay double-spaced with the title in bold 14-pt Times New Roman font, "This is whom I love"?

When love dries out, what happens to the person in your head that you loved?

What happens the next time you bump into him and he smiles at you, and that elusive dimple winks at you, a distant tremble of something that you've long forgotten?

Is it you who has changed, or he?

5 comments:

smudgi3 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
smudgi3 said...

You are right: Falling in love is a presposterous idea. However, I can write a three-page essay titled 'This is whom I love'. In fact, give me a diary and I can write you a whole novel based on that topic. I can even tell you the when and the how. What escapes me is, and always has, is the why.

Love never dries out. It is displaced, or snatched forcefully from you. When you no longer are in love with, or can love, a person, all those things that had drawn you to him in the first place never leaves.

Nobody has changed. We merely recall, think, see and hear the things we want to. The sweet memories remains; it is us that taints it.

mis_nomer said...

I like the way you put it — love as displaced..

I noticed that you are reading a novel by Eliot Perlman? I borrowed a book by him, seven types of ambiguity, but it was so thick I didn't even start! Any recommendations on where to start? What do you think of his writing?

smudgi3 said...

'seven types of ambiguity' comes before 'the reasons i won't be coming', which is the one I've read. Why did you let the thickness of the book daunt you? I love thick books! In fact, after finishing this, I'm gonna go find me a copy of the first book.

I love his writing style and his intelligence, and especially his view on love. Extremely real and believable, which to me, translates into a sweetness that doesn't leave a sour aftertaste in my mind after the stories end.

Anonymous said...

I think it was because I borrowed it from the library along with many other books, and never felt like lugging it around with me and before I knew it, it was due.

Maybe I'll try again..