Pencil Shavings

Sunday, June 10, 2007

I, in my soapbox

Episode 1,146. This is my life. (I checked. This really is the 1,146th post)

I don't know why I even try to keep my regular life separate from this blog when every so often this place degenerates into a soapbox.

The detail I have let slip into my posts is appalling. If you have been reading carefully, you would know my gender, my race, my age, possibly even where I live, where I work, what I read, where I run. Two years ago I would have been paranoid about being ferreted out by people who know me in real life. But now, I have grown complacent. I rest on my anonymous laurels.

I could find me if I really wanted to. I'm only grateful that most of my friends aren't me.

Anyway, going with the soapbox quality of this blog, let me share with you the enlightened conversation I had with my Indian friend about eleven minutes ago.

Me: "Swatch is short for Swiss Watch"
Friend: "What?"
Me: "Swatch is swart for Swish Watch"
Friend: "What?"
Me: *slower* "I said, Swash is short for Swish Watch!"
Friend: "Haha! Say `Yellow Lorry' fast"
Me: "Yellow Lorry Yellow Lorry Yellow Lorry.*faster* yellowlorryyellowlorry *even faster* yellowlorryairlololiairlololi"
Friend: "I bet you can say it because you are too English-fied. Chinese have problems saying that."
Me: "Huh?"
Friend: "That's true. Indians can't say `Windshield Wiper'. We say `Vinshield Viper'. Example, There's a snake on my vinshield."
Me: "Heh. You say `Yellow Lorry Yellow Lorry' fast."
Friend: "No."


You see, there was absolutely no point in me posting that exchange.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL!

For some reason, I burst out laughing after reading that exchange. Thanks for a good laugh on this miserable weekend!

Anonymous said...

No one is really anonymous on the net, but I have no idea who you are.

smudgi3 said...

That made a pretty entertaining post!

Sivasothi said...

I love some mystery so I don't peek too hard. You're mis_nomer. S'bout all I know.

Eric Siegmund said...

I wouldn't have said "there is a snake on my windshield" either. I would have said "ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!"

I know your real name...but I'm not telling. ;-)

(Unless, of course, you fibbed.)

Gwynne said...

You raise an interesting question...I wonder how many bloggers try to hide their blog from their real life friends, or remain completely anonymous. While I don't try to stay anonymous (I think that would be very difficult), I also don't advertise my blog...mostly because I'm tired of answering the inevitable question, "but why?!" ;-)

Anonymous said...

the point is that it's pretty funny.