Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

a map of my world

Woke up this morning thinking that it was Saturday and then realising that it is only Wednesday and that I still had more than half of the week to go. It is a crummy sinking type of feeling that makes you want to hold your pillow and sulk.

I want to draw a map according to my reality. According to my reality, my home in Sptw Pk Rd will be very large with lots of detail, while places like Africa, Japan, Korea, Alaska will be tiny with very little detail. It will include the places I have lived in and visited, memories translated into a two-dimension map. Because what is a map except a representation of reality, and what is reality except that which is experienced?

I wish I had more artistic ability!

4 comments:

mis_nomer said...

actually your map of the body is something like mine. have you ever seen the acupuncture map which shows which part of the body is linked to other parts (i.e. rub the ball of the palm to ease headache, etc.)? I'll see if i can find one..

Jim Jannotti said...

Woke up this morning thinking that it was Saturday and then realising that it is only Wednesday and that I still had more than half of the week to go. It is a crummy sinking type of feeling that makes you want to hold your pillow and sulk.

Sounds just like my morning.

Gwynne said...

And what your map reminds me of is a speech I gave in college on what a flat map of the world would look if you grew up in Australia...I had fun drawing the countries upside down and putting Australia in the center of the world. And so, no, my map was nothing like the one you're about to draw, but it was about relationships of countries, etc.

mis_nomer said...

Jim, except that if you woke on Sat this week, you would still have to go to work. So sorry about the consecutive 6 day weeks..

Gwynne, interesting! That's like China's maps. China is translated literally into the "middle kingdom", or the country in the centre of the world. :)