Pencil Shavings

Monday, July 03, 2006

My out-of-control imaginary budget

I've been spending too much money. I bought the Garmin forerunner 201 a week after l got back ($240). Then I lost my shoes and had to get new running shoes ($141).

My buddy got me new leather shoes for work because my old ones were hairy ($59.90). And l aquired a brand new Zire 31 ($288) and a 256MB sd card ($15) as a gift.

I bought a 1GB sd card for my buddy's new Treo ($38), a multiflash card reader to replace the one I gave my sis ($10), as well as various household items ($16.90). Not counting two weddings this month ($220),two races I plan to join ($28), and ($800) to the parents, this is just an in-the-red month. :(

All of this consumption is making me sick. I resolve for the month of July:

1. Only bread & butter for breakfast, or nothing at all.
2. Only rice with vegetables for lunch.
3.Only hawker or food court or $3.50 worth of food for dinner, or better, where possible, persuade mum to cook.
4. No taxis. Ever.
5. No Sim Lim. No electronic gadgets. No lusting after Macs. No software.
6. Cycle to work.
7. No drinks at meals--only water.

That should do it. :) I feel better already. (I wrote this on my Zire at 2am last night)

One fuzzy bird I saw this morning on the way to work

6 comments:

colinrt said...

re: budget... tell me about it... i have the same problem and each time i resolve to change, something crops up that ultimately leads to a relapse... much like a recovering alcoholic in a well-stocked bar... :-(

Anonymous said...

is that a kookaburra or a kingfisher? ...let's go to the birdpark in august!

Anonymous said...

Hey, where did you buy your 1 gig sd card? I'm thinking of getting one too ...

mis_nomer said...

Tot -- I still haven't been able to follow to the T this week and it is Wed already! :)

Smole -- really? you want to? er, ok.

Carine -- At Sim Lim. But must look around because most places still selling for about $45. The place I got it from was on the third floor near the escalator with the SD cards fairly prominently displayed on a rack. They were Kingston. Sorry I don't know the store name! The 2GB is going for $78, but can find for $75.

Anonymous said...

Ok I shall check at SIm Lim.. last time I checked somewhere else and they told me $120 for 2 gig!

mis_nomer said...

Whoa! $120 is insane. I'm glad you didn't buy it at that price.