Pencil Shavings

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Taking stock

You know, I've never been the kind of person who had to work hard to get anywhere. I have an erratic intelligience which sometimes finds itself coinciding with a lucky break, and then I find myself where I am, happily disposed.

Once in Junior College, my buddy (who is now earning big bucks in a government institution) was so worried about me being too distracted by church and friends and yada yada yada that she actually brought it up to the Chinese teacher in front of the entire class once. It was sweet of her but of course at that point of time I thought that I was focusing on the "important things". I probably also thought that it was my God-given right that life should be smooth-sailing and effortless, as it has proven before.

I've ended up in lots of really cool places all by lucky breaks, or in my more religious moments, by "the hand of God", because it would seem miraculous otherwise.

So, I don't know what makes me think that I can buckle down and swim against the flow now, and make something of myself. It makes me very scared to think that I am all alone, and that perhaps this potent coincidence of luck and smarts won't follow me, and I will be so depressed that I will curse the day that I was born.

4 comments:

colinrt said...

i think it's a taurean trait, this...

i suffer from it too... only for me, there's a word for it... serendipity... coincidence and luck are too fickle... but serendipity suggests God's invisible hand at work... which moves not necessarily in straight lines... and hence, logic often breaks down and fails... not for my feeble efforts at trying, nor for my own pathetic schemes and designs... but something more... like the grace of God...

which makes it all the more miraculous when it does all come together... like a cool ending to a really good movie or book... when you look back on and sees how all those various random bits which didn't mean much nor made any sense before... converges into a cohesive picture...

serendipity... good timing... in His time...

mis_nomer said...

What's a taurean trait? As in tauras(?) the sign? Just realised that although we're both in April, we're different signs. (Are they even called signs? or stars? Oh dear me.)

Serendipity is one of those words that doesn't resonate with me for some reason. Is serendipity closer to happy coincidence or divine guidance, or somewhere in between? I've never figured that one out...

colinrt said...

there's a theory that those born near the end of/at the start of a horoscope period tend to exhibit both traits... unlike those in the middle of the period... i know this cos a friend of mine is crazy about astrology and constantly bombards me with nuggets of info... Taurus people are supposed to be earthy and have a natural love of life... etc... but are more content to sit in pasture than climb mountains... or something to that effect... they're supposed to be artistic, musical, super talented, etc...

so, when you mentioned how you meandered along in life and how you ended up in really cool places, it reminded me of my life as well... how things sort of come along without me having to search them out...

anyway... i don't think serendipity is one thing or the other, but instead, is a combination of both... a divinely inspired coincidence if you will...:-)

mis_nomer said...

astrology is something that goes over my head. :)

No wonder serendipity is such a popular word. It was UK's favourite word in a survey the BBC conducted in 2000.