Pencil Shavings

Friday, November 17, 2006

How to configure your mobile phone for gmail: Critical Update

Remember my earlier post on how to configure your mobile phone for gmail?

Well, this is a critical update.

After configuring my Sony Ericsson k618i, I was happy just to receive my emails from my gmail account. It was only later when I realised that while I could receive emails, I could not send. I would get an error saying that the TLS/ SSL certificate is not authorized by known authority. To solve this problem, you need to download the following two certificates.

Download this file: http://www.verisign.com/support/thawte-roots.zip

Open the .zip file and look for ThawtePremiumServerCA.cer. Extract the .cer and bluetooth it to your phone. Your phone should recognise it as a certificate and ask you if you would like to save it. Click yes.

Download also this certificate by right-clicking on the link and choosing "save as". Bluetooth the certificate to your phone.

Ensure your settings are the same as in this post.

  1. Connection type: POP3
  2. Incoming Server: pop.googlemail.com
  3. Outgoing Server: smtp.googlemail.com
  4. Incoming Server: SSL ; Outgoing Server: SSL
  5. Incoming Port: 995 ; Outgoing Port: 465

And that should do it. :) I am as pleased as punch... until I receive my mobile bill for this month!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it sounds really cool and stuff but I don't think it would be practical here in Canada as we have insanely high prices for air time. We are still being charged for incoming calls!! HOW WRONG IS THAT?!?! Wrong numbers and prank calls cost me money!

mis_nomer said...

horrible! airtime charges are different from data charges though. but if your airtime charge is high, it is likely that they'll charge you an arm and a leg to send data too. i'm scared to find out how much exactly my service provider is charging me!