Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

My friends bring out the sotong in me

When I was in school, one of my nicknames was "sotong", the name for cuttlefish in Malay. Sotong is synonymous with not being on the ball, hence the saying, "blur as sotong". In fact, when they drew a caricature of me in school, they put a prominent question mark on top of my head to emphasize my sotong-ness.

Hanging out with my school friends this last week brought it out in me again. It is interesting how different people bring out different aspects of your personality because I've almost forgotten how blur I actually am. When I am at work and with colleagues, they think I am the model of efficiency and fountain of information. When I am on holiday with Smole, we fight about who gets to read the map and figure out what's going on. When I am with my old school friends, suddenly I become a true blue blur sotong.

And the sotong-ness has carried over somewhat because I am still out of it. I threw out my contacts solution with the contacts still in them twice this week -- once into the toilet and once out of the window; I spilled tea all over myself and the carpet and the chair yesterday; I even flopped magnificently at boiling hard boiled eggs! What's up???

I have a theory. Just as in the Taoist concept of yin and yang, where opposites complement and bring out the best in each other, I am blur because my old school friends are so remarkably talented, and that eliminates any kind of female rivalry, and so we can get along and be good buddies. That's my theory anyway. ;)

4 comments:

colinrt said...

lol... dunno if your definition of sotong is all that kosher... being blur doesn't necessarily make one clumsy, ditzy or a klutz... all three of which are probably more apt a description of the examples you gave... being blur implies being in a world of one's own, self absorbed, oblivious even, distracted...

on the other point about reverting back to your school days persona, think there is a smidgen of truth in that... we all fall into roles and character within various groups of people from various periods in our lives... yours appears to be the class klutz... lol..

mis_nomer said...

You sleep really late TOT.. How do you stay awake at work? I'm impressed...

You're right, the examples I gave were more klutzy than blur, and I am usually more blur than klutzy. Blur examples are harder to write down -- requires a lot of context. Or perhaps that's an excuse because I haven't actually figured out what's going on? ;)

Anonymous said...

Up with sotong!

Blur power!

colinrt said...

lol... i've survived on about five hours sleep since secondary school... and i think the older i get, the less sleep i need...

also, why sleep? it's such a waste of life...
if one sleeps 10 hours a day, that's almost half a lifetime up in smoke...

someone said once: "i'll sleep after i die..." that's what i aim to do... lol...

i also remember reading of people who don't sleep at all... instead they take micro naps through the day... gotta run...

hi hoe, hi hoe... it's off to work we go...