Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It makes me happy

A twig in a smile
Objectively, this week in MN's life doesn't look too hot. There is that marathon at the end of the week that she is not prepared for, and there are those two niggly, worrying hospital visits this week. But somehow, in the midst of all this leg dragging and general grouchiness, some things make her feel better, like that smiling log bench with the twig in its mouth; like the following God-sent people:

1. A lifeguard who says to her: "?????????????????" (Miss, you need to pull harder on your stroke, all the way back to your thigh.") And the ensuing conversation on the marathon and how he once had to be carried out on the twenty-something mark and could not pass motion for a week after. He thought my Chinese was good! He must have had chlorine in his ears. ;)

2. A colleague who brings a ??? (hard-boiled egg cooked in tea leaves) in a paper cup covered in tin-foil.

3. A married pastor friend who buys me lunch and is real enough to whisper over kaya toast and teh, "eh, do you think that lady in white there is gorgeous?"

4. A friend who calls on the phone and tells me she is going dancing with the penguins in the arctic.

-----

er, does anyone know why Chinese doesn't show up on my blog?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I "found" this graffiti in my town and it made my day (much like your smiling stump):

http://static.flickr.com/102/309617020_2420e98e1f.jpg?v=0

hope the image location goes through.
if not, check out my blog