Pencil Shavings

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego

I heard the names "Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego" twice in a matter of three hours today. It was very strange -- the first time was when my friend wanted to talk about the story out-of-the-blue (I still don't know why), and the second was when I opened the door of my room and heard the remnants of an audio sermon wafting from the living room.

Hearing "Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego" twice in three hours was so uncanny that I had this conversation:

Me: "So, erm, God, why Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego?"

*silence*

"Erm, are you telling me that I ought to eat only vegetables and drink only water and I'll finish the marathon well?"

*silence*

"It's something about the fire right? The fact that Jesus was with them in the fire and that the fire could not harm them?"

*silence*

"Gosh. That's very sweet. But I wonder why you have to resort to such coincidences to speak, you know what I mean?"

*silence*

"Okay okay, I know, if I don't read my Bible, how else is it supposed to happen..."

*silence*

"But, you know, I'm not so sure about not being harmed by the fire. I'm not even sure of my salvation..."

*silence*

"Go fill up that form on my table? What kind of an answer is that? I ask you such a profound question and you give me something to do?"


Sometimes, just sometimes, he gives you exactly what you need.

2 comments:

mis_nomer said...

His name sounds really familiar. Is he a German guy? I haven't read anything by him. Hmm. What do you recommend?

colinrt said...

i think most times, we let our own desires get the better of us and miss out on what He's offering us... good on ya for listening...