Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Garmin Forerunner 301

This powerhouse uses the GPS system which is apparently more accurate than the foot pod system used by Polar, barring tall buildings, cloud cover and overhanging trees.

It is able to plot your route on maps (not sure if they have maps in Singapore though), but according to this forum, the maps aren't too accurate. One user said that the Garmin plotted most of his route in the middle of the lake! Ha.

It also plots elevation, speed, distance, and heart rate.

I think I may stick to string, map, and my good ole Timex Ironman.

Search Technorati: Garmin Forerunner

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just have to say that I've been using the ForeRunner 301 on my bike now for over 2 weeks and I absolutely love it!

The included Training Center software that comes with the Garmin unit is good for data logging and setting up workouts, but the builtin map sucks big rocks for any kind of accuracy. I guess this is where Garmin makes money by selling their MapSource software.

On that same note, the Training Center software does have an 'Export History' feature. Using this function and this great little utility :

http://www.goldmann.de/display-data-from-garmin-forerunner-301-in-google-earth_tipp_223.html

I am now able to view all my workout routes in Google Earth!

Like I said, it's a pretty sweet unit. Gotta love technology.

cheers

Bill said...

The map you saw on my blog was done using the web site MotionBased.com. Their basic service is free, fully supports the Forerunner, exports stuff to Google Earth, and shows you runs from everyone else on the system. If I move to Singapore (a possibility), I look you up :)

--Bill

thc said...

You've got to admit, it's pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

I looooove my Forerunner with the free software SportTracks - you want to send your track over to Google Earth - you can do it with one click! It is a very nice software and I think you will like it better than motionbased. Have fun!!