Pencil Shavings

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I'm that girl

(A meme started by mercermachine. See all trackbacks at tomorrow here.)

I am the girl who told you in kindergarten that tap water was recycled urine even though I knew better.

I am the girl who wrote `I hate Madam Sin’ on the back of a Chinese Spelling Exercise Book that got flung right across the classroom; the girl who hated Chinese ever since; the girl who still can’t speak Chinese to save her life.

I am the girl who can't dance to save her life, either.

I am the girl who drank a spoonful of Tabasco on a dare; who dared you to eat a plate of left-over laksa with a piece of soaked tissue paper in it, and you did.

I am the girl who let you read her diary, who held you when you cried, who cycled to the hospital at 3am to get medicine for you, who stayed up beside your hospital bed watching you sleep, who would fly all the way across the world to be at your wedding, even if it means that I would cry.

I am the girl who bought you the gifts – the Deuter bag, the Sony Ericsson phone, the Timex watch, the Asics running shoes, the Clarks, the Fossil watch, the guitar, the Camera that you showed proudly to your friends.

I am the girl who drove four hours across the country to surprise you, who changed her windshield wipers in your driveway, who lost a hubcap in your po'dunk town, and who drove four hours back again because you were not at home.

I am the girl who kissed you good night.

I am the girl who breaks your heart, but would never admit that you broke mine too.

I am that girl. Who are you?

5 comments:

cole. said...

sweet.

colinrt said...

funny thing about growing up and growing old... sometimes the people we expect to remain constants in our lives, the bearing points... they grow up into something else... could be a close friend... could be a cousin... even a sister or a brother... sure, there's that part of their lives we once shared once a long time ago... but time and circumstance have the same weathering effects that carved out the grand canyon on people too... and sometimes, the gulf between us seems as wide... but reach back a little, search for that common ground and miraculously, a bridge will form... the ties that bound you once should lead you to a more familiar place... and beneath those many layers of sedimentation... you'll find that i am still that same person you once knew...


PS: i know this may not apply to your particular situation, your post just evoked a heartfelt response... which reminds me, i should call the folks back in Oz before they start asking who i am as well... ;-)

smudgi3 said...

=)

Unknown said...

Wow... you're HOT!!!

A spoonful of Tabasco??! That'll kill me!

mis_nomer said...

tinkertailor - thanks for popping by!

Train of thot - true.. call the folks! now!

smudgi3 - did you do one too? will go check now.

beng - Yup, it killed me alright. Got ten dollars for drinking the tabasco. Bought a lagsana lunch with the money but couldn't taste a lick of it cos my tongue was so gone by then.