Pencil Shavings

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Instiki

On the recommendation of popagandhi, I installed Instiki. It was somewhat complicated installing it on Windows, but here are the step by step instructions.

Those instructions worked pretty well for me. The command prompt "ruby instiki" did not work for me though. But I realised that all you actually had to do was to get into your instiki folder (cd\instiki) and run "instiki". After which, go to "http://localhost:2500" to view your page.

Another comment: the command prompt window has to remain open the whole time you are using instiki. Otherwise you will get this error: The connection was refused when attempting to connect Localhost:2500.

I've enjoyed using it so far. It's like an online brain really. This is the page I created on the book I finished reading recently, Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett.

Taking notes like this makes me want to be a student again.

Now I just need to figure out how to delete orphaned pages, access my wiki from home, and stuff like that.

Best thing about instiki so far: the ability to link, the ease of creating new pages, and textile editing (so intuitive!).

Update: What is Instiki, really?
Instiki is a wiki. It is not a blogging tool, but a kind of software that allows various authors to collaborate on a single text. Right now I'm just using it to organise my thoughts which probably does not do the programme justice.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

pardon my ignorance, but wat issit 4? blogging tool?

Anonymous said...

Deleting orphaned pages is under "Edit Web", administrative tasks. :)

mis_nomer said...

Sweet. Thanks popagandhi. :)