Pencil Shavings

Thursday, September 08, 2005

I'll have my oatmeal in a cookie, thank you v much

I wonder if I'll ever develop a taste for the mushy gooey mess that is oatmeal.

While I was in the UK, I participated in a community breakfast with the people at the local church. You should see their faces when they walked into the spacious hall and found out that there was oatmeal prepared.

"Porridge! Ooooh! We have porridge!"

All of them, I swear, exclaimed excitedly about the porridge like it was some treat. The way they were exclaiming, I almost thought we were going to have century egg porridge with you tiao with a hot cup of black coffee for breakfast, but no, I checked the pots, only oatmeal. I passed.

So I had toast with butter instead.

Therin lies the difference between a Singaporean stomach and an English stomach.

During a recent company conference, we catered breakfast for the participants as the meetings started early in the morning and lasted all day late into the evening. First day -- mee siam, very happy; second day -- laksa, good response; third day, chicken porridge, yum; fourth day, small crossiant with ham, we found half of the participants in the canteen eating wan ton mee instead.

Therefore, if you are in charge of catering food in Singapore, don't go for the continental breakfast option. Also, don't order sandwiches for lunch. That way sure confirm gurantee 100% everyone will be happy.

No comments: