Pencil Shavings

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Letting out steam is a good thing

Today, something out of the ordinary happened. Usually the morning bus ride to work is a quiet affair. Everyone on the bus sits quietly and broods about life. Today, as I was trying to squeeze past the bus inspector standing at the door of the bus, it suddenly exploded.

Lanky Indian man flared up at bus inspector for blocking the entrance. Bus inspector yells back at him. Lanky Indian man walks back to the front of the bus to confront him. Hokkien vulagrities. Lanky Indian man walks into bus to find seat. Bus inspector still yelling. Lanky Indian man walks back. More yelling.

Later the bus inspector came by to check our EZ link cards and he had to check the card of the lanky Indian man. Bus Inspector says, "Take it easy. Relax. We are all Singaporeans. One nation."

Lanky Indian man still pissed but says, "Ok." And then it was back to the quiet brooding, with the slightest hint of tension in the background.

We are about to burst at the seams. It comes from being too goody-two-shoes, having too many rules, not enough outlets for play and expression. One day, the seams will burst and there will be a riot, or worse, we will produce our own home-grown serial killer, God forbid. Do you know that our police force is not equipped to cope with serial killing, if it should happen? Even Adriam Lim, who lured and murdered a few children, did it for religious rites rather than for the pleasure of killing. God forbid.

Personally, I desperately need to gripe about work before I burst at the seams. Friends can only take so much griping before being affected by what you say. I also find it is better not to talk about general problems you have with your work because it is inevitable that there will be comparision -- you are bored at work? lucky you, I have to be on my feet all day; you are stressed out by your responsibilities? lucky you, at least you are getting some where in your career, not like me; or even, stop griping already and change a job if you're so miserable! One person's stress/ boredom is another person's envy, if you get what I mean.

So I'm assuming it is easier to gripe on my blog. At least if you don't want to read this you can close this window and only come back when I'm sprouting cheerier messages. Of course griping about work is only safe if you keep the details of the work out of the post, and if you remain reasonable in your gripes. The only way about this for me is if I stick to how my work makes me feel, and so the gripe of the day:

My job is like getting the same assignment in school for four and a half years running and having to do it over and over and over and over and over again.

There, now that it is out of my system, I'm gonna get back to it so that I won't get sacked so that I can keep on griping about work tomorrow, tomorrow and tomorrow.

1 comment:

smudgi3 said...

oh I let off the steam all the time so that I don't burst one day...

and pple say I hot tempered.