Pencil Shavings

Monday, March 27, 2006

Imagery

You know you haven't been thinking about theology for a while when you sing a song `Lamb of God' and all you can think of is the lamb chops you had last night for supper.

No wonder there were so many misunderstandings regarding the church in the early days -- folks thought that Christians were cannibals, eating and drinking the body and blood of their Saviour. But who would blame them, when the priest reads in church: "This is the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. Take, eat, do this in remembrance of me"?

I am getting more and more literal the older I get. Today we sang another song "Every mountain we will climb.. is only by his grace"etc., and all I could think of a literal mountain stretching in front of me.

I am slowly losing the imagery of Christianity.

8 comments:

Gwynne said...

Odd, I had a reverse "revelation" last night while munching on a lamb shank. Normally, eating lamb puts me in the mind of Jesus, but last night, it was just lamb. :-/

mis_nomer said...

Eating lamb puts you in the mind of Jesus? Wow. Normally I never connect the lamb on my plate and the lamb on the throne.

colinrt said...

... and every time i sing Amazing Grace, i think of my ex-gf - Grace - who was an animal under the sheets... i kid, i kid... no pun intended...

just another wu liao comment caused by a random thought...

but honestly, i think imagery only worked back in the days pre-television... when writers had to conjure up such images because their readers had no idea what they're talking about... today, there's so much visual input all around that people get desensitised by the constant barrage of images... and explicit images at that... so no wonder we're more literal... whenever we wanna convey an idea or image, there's a handy reference to a movie or a news photo or an internet phenom... why do we need imagery when we can google any image we want and moosh it into the face of our audience??

mis_nomer said...

True. That's why watching the movie of a book you've read is usually disappointing -- the images in the movie don't match your own imagination. While if you watched the movie before reading the book, you'll probably enjoy both as you'll subconsciously use the images provided by the movie and so there is no contradiction.

It is a shame, really.

Gwynne said...

Eating lamb puts you in the mind of Jesus?

It's usually Easter when I'm consuming it. I don't consume a lot of lamb. :)

Imagery is just one way of trying to understand what we cannot fully comprehend. Maybe your "loss of imagery" just means you've reached some higher level of understanding...or something.

mis_nomer said...

Or that I'm eating more lamb than I usually do! Heh.

Canopy said...

I think Bible imagery can be confusing because we're not from the same time period and culture. I mean, some kids can't even recognise live chickens...

mis_nomer said...

true. :) The folks in that time period probably understood the symbols instinctively, while we've got to do some work.

re: the chickens, that is a scary thought!